Tuesday, August 5, 2014

Little Scientists: Finger Paint

This was messy. And when I say messy- I wish that I had worn a poncho when we made the finger paint.  (needless to say, there are no pictures because it was so messy I couldn't hold my phone or the camera!) Here is the outline of the story portion of our program:





Sign: Paint
I've been teaching the children a word in sign language when time and my memory allows!

Book: Mouse Paint by Ellen Stoll Walsh





Then the children helped retell story with flannel board



Rhyme: Clap Your Hands

Clap, clap, clap your hands,
As s-l-o-w-l-y as you can.
Clap, clap, clap your hands,
As quickly as you can.
.....shake…
.....roll…
.....rub…

....wiggle fingers....
....clap hands.....

Flannelboard: Paintbrush game

I borrowed this idea from Anne's Library Life 

 

Song: First We Wave Our Hands
 
(Tune: London Bridge is Falling Down)
 
First we wave our hands up high,
hands up high, hands up high.
First we wave our hands up high,
Then we clap them!

Then we shake our hands down low,
hands down low, hands down low.
Then we shake our hands down low,
Then we hide them!

Book: Blue Goose by Nancy Tafuri

Now for the finger paint. Here's the recipe the children went home with:



2 cups flour

2 cups water

1/2 cup salt (this adds a little texture and makes the paint a little thicker so it's not so runny)

Food coloring


Mix all ingredients together and try to get most of the lumps out of the flour.  Disperse the mixture evenly
into storage containers, then add food coloring and mix well. Paint!

Like most of our programs we had three tables set up- with each table making a different color. I like for the children to take home what they made, but this was too messy to put in a cup or ziploc so my teen volunteers put four colors into dressing cups with lids in a ziploc bag for them to take home.

I think they had a good time! 





 




No comments:

Post a Comment