Monday, August 4, 2014

Crafty Kids: Insects

So yes, I've been a little behind on this blog. Chairing an NJLA committee and actual Summer Reading got in the way, but I'm hoping to catch up with some useful programs.

During the summer we substitute Crafty Kids for our regular storytime. This preschool program for children ages 2-5 involves, rhymes, stories, songs, activities and a craft. In fact, I love this program so much, we're getting rid of regular storytime and replacing it with this program in September.

Our summer program runs for seven weeks, so we have seven weeks of Crafty Kids. I'll try to post all of this year's science-themed Crafty Kids here.

So the first week of Crafty Kids was insects! Here's the basic outline for what we did:



Intro : Bread & Butter Thank you to the ladies over at Jbrary who do this much better than I do!


Book: Butterfly, Butterfly by Petr Horacek



Rhyme: Bumblebee, Bumblebee (with puppet)

Bumble Bee, bumble bee, Landing on my nose,
Bumble bee, bumble bee, Now he's on my toes.
On my arms, on my legs, on my elbows.
Bumble bee, oh bumble bee, He lands and then he goes.


Flannelboard: Where is the Bee? This is like Little Mouse, Little Mouse, but there is a bee that hides in flowers in a garden.





Song: Itsy Bitsy Spider (with puppet)


Book: Tiny Little Fly by Michael Rosen



Activity: Insect Matching Game- handed out laminated insects to kids (with what it was on the back for parents) and when the child saw their insect on the board, they brought it up. I bought this by chance at the Becker's outlet by me. It was really meant to be a bulletin board set but I used it for something else:-)


Craft: Bee





No comments:

Post a Comment