Monday, March 28, 2011

Spring Flowers!

Last week I hosted a program called 'Is it Spring Yet?' for our afterschool crowd.  We read the following stories:

How Robin Saved Spring by Debbie Oulet
Signs of Spring by Justine Korman Fontes

Before and in between the stories, we did some jokes that related to spring. This was the kids' favorite joke:

When do monkeys fall from the sky?
During Ape-ril showers!
We also did a craft to go along with our stories. Since March is National Noodle month, I decided to do a craft with colored pasta.
It's easy to color pasta. I use the alcohol & food coloring method. I put the pasta in a ziploc bag, add about 1/4 cup of alcohol, about 10 drops of food coloring (depending on what color you'd like), and then lock the bag. I kind of move everything around inside the bag so the pasta gets covered. Then let it sit for about a half hour.
The tough part is getting the pasta out of the bag. I brought in a strainer from home and just strained it over a bowl, then dumped out all of the colored alcholo in the sink. Then I let it dry overnight on a plastic tablecloth.
The kids then made flowers out of the colored pasta and stems out of pipe cleaners. Maybe I'm bias, but I thought they turned out great.
Below are some pictures of the kids' flowers.






No comments:

Post a Comment