Monday, December 12, 2011

Candy Olympics

This is a program we did during Summer Reading. I figured it would tie in with the cultural theme since I added Olympics to the title and the olympics are an international event- see my logic?

I actually borrowed the idea from another librarian, but expanded on it. We did gobstopper races where the teens balanced a gobstopper on a spoon with the other arm behind their back. They had to make it to a certain point and back without dropping the gobstopper.  We also had m&m sorting. They were each given a cup with m&ms and had to sort all of them by color before the timer ran out.

The last portion of the program was a Miss Chrissie original: CANDY Bingo, or just CANDY.  I made 20 different boards for this game.  Each box had the name of a different kind of candy. I even tried to trick the tweens by putting Hershey bar and Hershey kiss as well as Reese's Peanut Butter Cups and Reese's Pieces on the board. They used the m&ms from the sorting competition as markers. Needless to say, a fun time was had by all. We also repeated the program for tweens, who also loved it.

No comments:

Post a Comment